Food.com

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Eating Raw Cookie Dough

What is this world coming to? I'm seeing headlines all over the place that say that it is unsafe to eat raw cookie dough, particularly if you buy it "ready-to-bake" from the grocery store.

I've honestly never thought about the fact that I am actually eating raw eggs along with my wonderfully yummy raw dough. Raw eggs are potentially hazardous because they can serve as sources of harmful bacteria, including salmonella, which can cause serious illness. Apparently, unpasteurized flour can also be harmful.

What kind of mother AM I? Will Dairy Queen take the Cookie Dough Blizzard off the menu?

So what about making cookies from scratch? According to some, if you use pasteurized eggs or pasteurized egg products, you should be ok. I think I might just give my little guys a warm, soapy bath before cracking them.

As for the store-bought dough, scientists are urging manufacturer's to reformulate their products to make them safer to eat raw. You can see the entire article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment