Food.com

Friday, December 9, 2011

How do you plan your holiday feast?


I often wonder if I'm becoming more and more OCD when it comes to planning/prepping/preparing Christmas dinner. Each year I learn something new - which is always a good thing - but with each passing year, I seem to make it harder and harder for myself.
Last year we had 12 guests for dinner. This is kinda how it went:
I chose the menu from the thousands of recipes that I have collected over the past several years (I'm not exaggerating), about two weeks in advance. There wasn't one thing I chose that I had prepared before. Mistake!
I printed out all of the recipes and prepared a shopping list. I ordered the items the way I normally shop the store (starting at deli, around to bakery, then to produce, etc.). I also made a schedule, beginning two days before, on what could be prepped ahead of time, the oven schedule, what order I should cook things in, etc.
Shopping day was split into two days: The first day for items that are non-veggie and then the veggie items I bought the evening before. Yes, Christmas Eve. Another DUH! EVERYONE was at the store at the same time and they weren't nearly as prepared as I was (that might be a subject for another post).  :)
The major prep started the night before. I had every size bowl imaginable with measured out ingredients. They were all nicely labeled and carefully placed in the refrigerator or on the counter in the order they were needed. I'm talking down to the "6 slices of cooked bacon" I needed for the mac & cheese (yes, bacon AND mac & cheese is amazing!)
Christmas day was a complete and utter zoo. Dinner was scheduled for 5:30 and I literally stood in that kitchen THE ENTIRE DAY and still didn't get the meal on the table in time. What was I thinking peeling/sectioning and juicing a dozen nectarines? Cleaning/trimming and shredding a truckload of brussels sprouts? 
Alright, so as I mentioned, I learned a lot and will make many changes this year. #1 lesson - K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid). I enjoy cooking, but when I am missing out on my son playing with his toys and watching football, something has to give. 
In case you are wondering how it turned out....very well! Rave reviews from everyone - or maybe they were just being generous. I am sure that the entire ordeal was written all over my disheveled face. 
How do you prepare for your holiday feast? 

No comments:

Post a Comment